Friday, September 17, 2010

Building a 1u rackmount server?

I've built several PCs, I spend most of my day programming etc. etc. Basically, of late to let you know, I am adjectives clued up on PCs before someone shouts something similar to If you don't know how don't bother.



I'm looking at building a 1u rackmount server to put in a datacentre contained by London however I have never built a server.



I can't seem to be to find server-specific parts. I have see server cases advertised as ATX. Does that be set to you use standard ATX components like a desktop PC.



Could anyone donate any advice on this concern? If I need sever-specific components could someone point me to a few places to buy these components?

Building a 1u rackmount server?

Servers are lately dedicated PC's so the architecture is very.



BUT



When it comes to components and the finer detail of architecture then things renovation.



You need:



Server MB (this is potential to have things similar to added security consoles etc)

Server class memory (more expensive, but designed to be significantly robust)

Server class CPU's (as memory)

RAID controller

Server Class (preferably Hot Swap) HDD arrange in a RAID (preferably 5)

Server chassis (preferably beside redundant PSU's, Hot Swap HDD Caddies etc)



After that it is whether or not you want to put fun things like remote support cards etc
Here is some rack mounting hardware, and you can draw from rack mount computers and accesories, here


No comments:

Post a Comment